Friday, September 13, 2013

Two Voices Poem

By Hazel Talkington and Sophie Roberts



Two Worlds Combined




Morning Girl
Together
Columbus



I see strange men in a square canoe

I see a girl in the water

We see a stranger

I wish to have a sister

I wish to have gold and precious stones

We wish to have something we don’t

I believe I can speak to spirits

I believe in God

We believe in a higher power

I gave the visitors parrots, cotton thread, javelins, and many other things

I gave the Indians red caps, glass beads and many other things of small value

We gave many gifts to people we encountered

I taste the milk of a fresh coconut

I taste sea salt in the air

We taste the tropics

I come from a society of equality

I come from a society where people are separated by class

We come from societies in which we want to be treated well

I feel that I must protect my family

I feel that I must succeed in the mission granted to me

We feel that we are needed



1 comment:

  1. I like the descriptions of the tropics, It makes you want to go there.

    ReplyDelete