Saturday, April 13, 2013

r-p-o-p-h-e-s-s-a-g-r

The poem, r-p-o-p-h-e-s-s-a-g-r, by e.e.cummings brought the image of a grasshopper to my mind once I finally figured out what the poem actually said and I decoded the words. The grasshopper I imagined looked up and leaped. In this part of the poem, the letters that spelled out "leaps" were expressed in a way to make it look like the word itself was leaping.  Other words like “become” were spelled inside of parentheses and in between words. This poem seemed more free verse than to have a specific rhythm or rhyme because I couldn't find a pattern in the words. However there was alliteration repeating the “R” sound in the words, “arriving to rearrangingly...” The assonance I found in this poem was in the words "Leaps" and "arriving." There was no onomatopoeia I could find, but the way this poem was written with random page breaks, punctuation, and misspellings made it very interesting and caused me to spend quite a bit of time breaking it down to figure out what the words meant. The word “Grasshopper” was repeated four times throughout the poem, all spelled differently. Though this poem was not told from the grasshopper's point of view, I visualized it through the eyes of a grasshopper. I think e.e. cummings wrote about this grasshopper because it taught the lesson of finding one's true self. This poem started out with a jumbled up word that I couldn't make sense of, but slowly became less confusing throughout the poem and by the end was a real word. The grasshopper kept changing and leaping to new places until finally after all of that rearranging, became who it wanted to be. The words were spelled with capitals in the middle instead of beginning and punctuation before the word such as “.gRrEaPsPhOs.” I think this was done to make it seem like the words were trying to rearrange themselves in different ways until they liked the way they turned out, even if it isn't what people would expect. The repetition of the word “grasshopper” gave the poem a good beginning, middle, and end because each time it was spelled differently until the last try turned out right.  The language used in this poem was simple and direct, but it didn't actually make sense to me until I understood the theme of the poem.  This message is very relatable because everybody goes through times when they can’t figure out who they are or who they want to be. These decisions can be easy and simple to make, but can also be very hard and life changing. Whoever it is a person (or grasshopper) decides to be, should only be based upon what makes them happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment