Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Forest At Night


The ear-piercing call of a mysterious, wise owl.
Crackling leaves under the paws of a furry family of masked bandits
and their striped, frightened friend regretting he ever went on a midnight stroll.
The ominous, ghostly, frigid wind
causing the evergreens, tall enough to touch the stars, to slowly sway
Back and Forth,
Back and Forth.
Far in the distance, is the rushing of a strong, flowing creek
filled with water in search of its true home,
And almost as lost as I am.
The moon peeks through the trees
like a child playing hide-and-seek,
Seeking the darkness
With the stars curiously interacting in the game.
Distorted Monsters jump out of my mind
into the emptiness that stood before me.
Fresh, crisp air and the scent of pine needles
fill the pitch black space surrounding me.
But do not protect me
from whatever may lie beyond my eyes.
The moon, unable to find the darkness,
says goodnight as it pulls up its blanket of fog.
And a second hoot from the owl,
sends a chill down my spine.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful descriptions of both the outer and inner world.

    ReplyDelete