Saturday, May 18, 2013

Movement Poem

As I wade into the chilling water,
A shiver crawls down my spine.
Cautiously, I walk careful not to slip on any algae-covered rocks.
I take one slow step at a time, until the water touches my belly-button.
Then, I dunk my head.
My body feels instantly shocked and refreshingly free.
I swim up for a breath and notice
The current has moved me.
I scoop the water with my hands
And kick the flowing liquid with my legs
Despite the sun rays soaking into my head,
I dip my face in the water, and do not see the bottom.
Panting, I continue to swim as the current swiftly carries me.
I will never make it, I fear.
My arms are growing tired
And it feels as though
This never ending river has stretched wider.
I have almost run out of breath,
So I allow one last stroke
Until I give up.
But as I place my hands in front of me
Ready to disappear in this infinite flow of water
I grab hold of a slimy rock,
Realizing I have reached the shore
And stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment